Thursday, December 28, 2017

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas


Synopsis:

Feyre's survival rests upon her ability to hunt and kill – the forest where she lives is a cold, bleak place in the long winter months. So when she spots a deer in the forest being pursued by a wolf, she cannot resist fighting it for the flesh. But to do so, she must kill the predator and killing something so precious comes at a price ...

Dragged to a magical kingdom for the murder of a faerie, Feyre discovers that her captor, his face obscured by a jewelled mask, is hiding far more than his piercing green eyes would suggest. Feyre's presence at the court is closely guarded, and as she begins to learn why, her feelings for him turn from hostility to passion and the faerie lands become an even more dangerous place. Feyre must fight to break an ancient curse, or she will lose him forever.


My review:

So, I decided to see what was the fuss about, and I was definitely not disappointed. 
I had my doubts at the beginning, the first 20% of the book was slow for me, mainly because I wanted to slap some sense into Feyre, she was being too stubborn and repetitive. Fortunately that didn't last and the action and character development took off making the pages fly. 
The worldbuilding was beautiful, the descriptions vivid, and the mythology easy to follow. 
Feyre and Lucien became my favorite characters. I like how inventive and brave she can be under pressure. And Lucien, he can be so difficult to figure out, which is precisely why I enjoyed him so much. I tolerated Tamlin, but did not fell for him.
Amarantha was a good villain, she's bonkers, but has a motive. Under her anger and evil, she's hurt, that's what makes a villain interesting. With Rhysand I'm torn, I wanted to kill him at times, but then understood the reason behind his actions and gave him another chance.
The answer to the riddle was obvious for me after reading it once. Maybe I'm the exception, or maybe that was the author's intention, to have you mentally screaming at Feyre the obvious answer, I don't know. 
That ending was great though, a mystery, a battle, a transformation, lots of action, I loved it.
I'm also pretty sure I know what Rhysand saw, let's see if I'm wrong.

Grab ACOTAR here: https://amzn.to/2XlSUsw

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!

Comment with Facebook

The servant rescued the fortune-teller under the stars: prompt-inspired short story by Selene Kallan

 I just can't resist a good writing prompt. WE FOLLOW THE STARS by Selene Kallan. “I see coffers full of gold and diamonds as large as ...